Acids and Bases-Multiple Step Analysis
When you click "New Problem", a screen will appear with a question related to a solution of a weak acid or base. You will need a table of acid/base Ks which has both names and formulas of common acids and bases in order to answer the question.
Scoring is maintained on the main page, in a slightly different format than on other
- First, calculate and submit the value which results from the application of the "weak" approximation. Then press,"Check Approx".
The results appear on the main screen. If you get it correct, proceed, otherwise, recalculate
- Once the approx. value is correct, determine whether the approx is a valid answer and
click on either "Yes" or "No" accordingly. Again, if you get it incorrect, you must resubmit before you can proceed. This page uses a standard of 5%. If you don't what that means, you need to do a quick review before using the page. Remember that the correctness and validity of the approximate answer are two different things.
- You only do the third stage if:
If those conditions are met, then calculate the exact answer and submit it.
- You have gotten the first two parts correct and
- The approximation is invalid