Calculating Lattice Energies
This page present problems involving the use of the Born-Lande and Kapustinkii equations to calculate lattice energies. This is the first version of this program, but I think it works properly. Its use is straightforward, but please read the following, anyway.
- When "New Problem" is pressed a question will appear ro the right of the scoring table. It will give the formula of the compound and specify the lattice structure.
- The lattice structure may not be the observed one. This is intentional in order to give a larger variety of problems.
- You will need a number of values from your text, including the Madelung constants, the ionic radii and the Born n value.
- For the ionic radii-use the value for 6 coordinate for all the compounds. That is true for only this first version of the program. Later you will be required to use the the coordination number based on the structure.
- Values are in KJ and are positive. Enter the value into the answer cell and press "Check Answer".
- Pressing "Show Answer" will display the answer.
- If you encounter any errors-please let me know. I will be revising this continuously.
- Be certain to use the A(geometric) values for the Madelung constant
- The page will now display, hopefully, the complete equations, with values, used to calc U, when you press "Show Answer"